Earlier this week, Menlo Mock Trial competed in Round 2 of the San Mateo County Mock Trial Competition. MMT remains undefeated as the team fights to defend their championship titles from last year. The Varsity team is also seeking its 8th bid in a row to the CA State Championship, held in Orange County later this year.
JV had two trials, with both prosecution and defense playing Carlmont. The team swept all four ballots, and with this round in the books, Menlo JV remains in 1st place in the JV competition. The below wins mean Menlo JV has extended its all-time county undefeated streak to 16-0 (since the inception of the JV competition, in the 2016 season).
- Menlo JV vs Carlmont JV – Ballot 1: Menlo wins 160 to 150
- Menlo JV vsCarlmont JV – Ballot 2: Menlo wins 148 to 137
- Carlmont JV vs Menlo JV – Ballot 1: Menlo wins 140 to 134
- Carlmont JV vs Menlo JV – Ballot 2: Menlo wins 138 to 125
Varsity had two trials as well, winning both and sweeping all ballots. The prosecution beat Carlmont by a margin greater than that allowed in the competition, and in doing so earned the most points possible for the team’s effort to qualify for elimination rounds; one ballot had the largest winning margin of any prosecution team thus far in the competition. The defense beat Serra by a comfortable margin as well. Menlo’s Varsity Squad is in 1st place in the competition thus far in qualifying rounds, and with two teams from the division qualifying for playoffs is comfortably seated with the largest gap over 3rd place since 2013. The Round 2 wins mean Menlo Varsity has extended its undefeated streak to a staggering 74-0, dating back to the 2010 County Finals.
- Menlo vs Carlmont – Ballot 1: Menlo wins 160 to 135
- Menlo vsCarlmont – Ballot 2: Menlo wins 137 to 121
- Serra vs. Menlo – Ballot 1: Menlo wins 139 to 133
- Serra vs. Menlo – Ballot 2: Menlo wins 140 to 122
Next up: Menlo’s two teams will be back in action on Thursday February 8th for the final round of preliminary trials. Varsity is seeking bids to the semi-final round, and JV is seeking bids to the final round.