10/28/19 Updated MMT All-Time Record Book HERE
Menlo has won eleven out of the last twelve San Mateo County Championships (with a perfect 90-0 record the last 9 years), has been on the podium (Top 8) at the California State Championships (out of ~500 teams) for 7 of the last 8 years, and has been recognized as one of the top programs in the country with some of the top individual competitors in the world.
A few quick facts:
- Undefeated for 9 straight years in San Mateo County (90 wins, 0 losses)
- Reached the State Podium in 7 of the last 8 years
- 2x State Champions
- 1 of only a handful teams in California to have a current county win streak at 5+ years
- Defending NorCal Champions, with the most titles of any team (5x)
In California: Menlo School has won San Mateo County ten times, the last nine years in a row and eleven of the last twelve years. Menlo made its first State Championship Final Round in 2013-2014 and won its first state championship over 3x defending champions La Reina before going on to finish 4th place at Nationals. In 2015-2016, Menlo made its 2nd CA State Championship Final Round (dropping a close round to Dos Pueblos). In 2018-2019, Menlo won its second state championship over Shasta High School (a contender in the Championship Final Round for the past 3 years). Menlo has finished ranked in the Top 8 in California for 7 of the last 8 years. Menlo’s JV team is a powerhouse as well, winning the inaugural San Mateo County JV Competition in 2016, and then defending their title in 2017 and 2018 (and never losing a round during the competition over those three years). Menlo JV also repeatedly takes down State Top 8 opponents at the Silicon Valley Friendly and NorCal Tournaments.
Across the Country: Menlo is well known outside of California, with their strongest showing being the National Championship 4th place finish in 2014. Menlo also placed 22nd at the National Championship in 2019. Menlo has won the pre-season Providence Tournament in Denver five times over the last 7 years (‘11, ‘12, ‘14, ‘15 & ‘16), and has gone undefeated at the tournament since 2014; in 2017, MMT took two teams to Providence and both went a perfect 4-0. They also won the American Tournament for each states’ 2nd/3rd place teams in 2008-2009. MMT has been well represented at the individual mock trial championships, known as The Gladiator Tournament; every MMT competitor (10 of them) have finished with a winning record at the tournament, Menlo has made the final round in three of the last four years, in 2016 MMT’s Andy Parker won the individual world championship title before he went on to be an All-American for Yale University, and in 2018 MMT’s Tiffany Tam won the individual world championship as well.
At the Collegiate Level: Menlo is also well represented at the collegiate level. MMT has had team leaders at Brown, Michigan, Yale, Penn, and Stanford. MMT has 6 active competitors as of spring 2019 on Penn, Yale, NYU, and Stanford teams.
Yearly Results (click on the year for more details):
- 2018 – 2019: County: 1st | State: 1st | Nationals: 22nd
- 2017 – 2018: Providence: 3rd/4th | County: 1st | State: 14th | Gladiator World Champion
- 2016 – 2017: Providence: 1st | County: 1st | State: 5th
- 2015 – 2016: Providence: 1st | County: 1st | State: 2nd | Gladiator World Champion
- 2014 – 2015: Providence: 1st | County: 1st | State: 8th
- 2013 – 2014: Providence: 2nd | County: 1st | State: 1st | Nationals: 4th
- 2012 – 2013: Providence: 1st | County: 1st Place | State: 3rd Place
- 2011 – 2012: Providence: 1st | County: 1st Place | State: 5th Place
- 2010 – 2011: County: 1st Place | State: 10th Place
- 2009 – 2010: County: 2nd Place
- 2008 – 2009: County: 1st Place | State: 3rd Place | American: 1st
- 2007 – 2008: County: 1st Place | State: 12th Place
- 2006 – 2007: County: 2nd Place
- 2005 – 2006: County: 2nd Place
- 2004 – 2005: County: 3rd Place
- 2003 – 2004: County: 5th Place
- 2002 – 2003: First year competing since the early 1990s
All-Time Menlo Team & Individual Records: MMT keeps a comprehensive, regularly updated record-book that details the team’s yearly team and individual results. You can download the record-book HERE.