3/24/18 Updated MMT All-Time Record Book HERE
Menlo has won ten out of the last eleven San Mateo County Championships (with a perfect 80-0 record the last 8 years), has been on the podium (Top 8) at the California State Championships (out of ~500 teams) for 6 of the last 7 years, and has been recognized as one of the top programs in the country with some of the top individual competitors in the world.
A few quick facts:
- Undefeated for 8 straight years in San Mateo County (80 wins, 0 losses)
- Reached the State Podium in 6 of the last 6 year
- 1 of only a handful teams in California to have a current county win streak at 5+ years
- Defending NorCal Champions, with the most titles of any team (4x)
- A Junior Varsity team that has never lost a round of JV County Competition
In California: Menlo School has won San Mateo County ten times, the last eight years in a row and ten of the last eleven years. Menlo made its first State Championship Final Round in 2013-2014, and won its first state championship over 3x defending champions La Reina before going on to finish 4th place at Nationals. In 2015-2016, Menlo made its 2nd CA State Championship Final Round (dropping a close round to Dos Pueblos). Menlo has finished ranked in the Top 8 in California for 6 of the last 7 years. Menlo’s JV team is a powerhouse as well, winning the inaugural San Mateo County JV Competition in 2016, defending their title in 2017 (and never losing a round during the competition over the those two years); Menlo JV also repeatedly takes down State Top 8 opponents at the annual NorCal Tournament.
Across the Country: Menlo is well known outside of California, with their strongest showing being the National Championship 4th place finish. Menlo has won the pre-season Providence Tournament in Denver five times over the last 7 years (‘11, ‘12, ‘14, ‘15 & ‘16), and has gone undefeated at the tournament since 2014; in 2017, MMT took two teams to Providence and both went a perfect 4-0. They also won the American Tournament for each states’ 2nd/3rd place teams in 2008-2009. MMT has been well represented at the individual mock trial championships, known as The Gladiator Tournament; every MMT competitor has finished with a winning record at the tournament, Menlo has made the final round in two of the last three years, and in 2016 MMT’s Andy Parker won the individual world championship title before he went on to be an All-American for Yale University.
At the Collegiate Level: Menlo is also well represented at the collegiate level. MMT has had team leaders at Brown, Michigan, Yale and Stanford; every person from Menlo to compete at the collegiate level (up thru fall of 2017) has gone on to have their team make the AMTA National Top 10, including 3/3 competitors in 2017. MMT has 5 active competitors as of fall 2017 on Penn, Yale, and Stanford teams. MMT’s head coach, Thom Scher, is also the head coach of the Stanford Program.
Yearly Results (click on the year for more details):
- 2017 – 2018: Providence: 3rd/4th | County: 1st | State: TBD
- 2016 – 2017: Providence: 1st | County: 1st | State: 5th
- 2015 – 2016: Providence: 1st | County: 1st | State: 2nd
- 2014 – 2015: Providence: 1st | County: 1st | State: 8th
- 2013 – 2014: Providence: 2nd | County: 1st | State: 1st | Nationals: 4th
- 2012 – 2013: Providence: 1st | County: 1st Place | State: 3rd Place
- 2011 – 2012: Providence: 1st | County: 1st Place | State: 5th Place
- 2010 – 2011: County: 1st Place | State: 10th Place
- 2009 – 2010: County: 2nd Place
- 2008 – 2009: County: 1st Place | State: 3rd Place | American: 1st
- 2007 – 2008: County: 1st Place | State: 12th Place
- 2006 – 2007: County: 2nd Place
- 2005 – 2006: County: 2nd Place
- 2004 – 2005: County: 3rd Place
- 2003 – 2004: County: 5th Place
- 2002 – 2003: First year competing since the early 1990s
All-Time Menlo Team & Individual Records: MMT keeps a comprehensive, regularly updated record-book that details the team’s yearly team and individual results. You can download the record-book HERE.