UPDATE 8/30/19: This page now reflects general tryout information for the 2019-2020 season. The tryout packet and signup sheet are available below.
2019 Tryout Packet is available here.
2019 Tryout Signup Sheet is available here.
*** Menlo Mock Trial Tryout Details ***
Tryout Schedule 2019-2020
- Tuesday, September 3rd: Parent Meeting (students invited, not required to be there) in Martin Hall from (7-8 PM)
- Wednesday, September 4th: LUNCH (orientation to tryouts) and tryout practice/help session 6-8 PM
- Sunday, September 8th: 2nd Pre-Tryout Help Session (1-4 PM)
- Monday, September 9th: LUNCH (drop in help session), Room 238
- Wednesday, September 11th: LUNCH (makeup tryout- filmed) Regular tryout practice 6-8 PM
- Friday, September 13th: LUNCH (last help session)
- Saturday, September 14th: Tryouts (9 AM- 3:30 PM)
- Wednesday, September 18th: First Regular Season practice (JV and Varsity) Room 238 or 236 (all practice times Wed 6-8 PM)
You do NOT have to attend all of the tryout practice sessions. These are optional. You can decide to come in for a brief period of time as well. For example, you do not need to come in for all 3 hours on Sunday, September 8th.
Beginning at 7pm on August 30th students will have access to the complete tryout packet. The tryout slots will be posted within the next few days. Tryouts are on Saturday, September 14th. The average tryout is 5 minutes, features 4 brief parts, and is conducted in front of a coaches panel. At the end of tryouts, the coaches release rosters with tentative roles. Depending on the turnout, some students, unfortunately, do not make the team in any capacity. If you can’t make the 9/14/19 tryout, but still want to join the team, contact Dan Devitt immediately.
MMT offers tryout practices for students seeking advice/feedback, and a parent informational meeting as well. The tryout practices (times listed above) will provide demos of the tryout material with current coaches and students answering questions as well. The parent meeting (7p-8p on 9/3/19) will be held in Martin Hall to clarify any questions. These sessions are not required, but are encouraged.
What is performed at the tryout (more info in the packet):
- Part I, Introductions and Forms (available in packet)
- Part II, 60s Pre-Scripted Performance: (chosen from 4 options)
- Part III, 60s Selection Performance: (inspired by prompts)
- Part IV, Discussion: (with the coaches following performance)
What should I choose for Parts II and III?
|Want to have any role?||Want to be an attorney?||Want to be a witness?|
|PART II||Attorney Option 1 OR 2||Attorney Option 1 OR 2||Witness Option 1A/B OR 2A/B|
|PART III||60s Monologue||A 60s Argument||60s Monologue|
Summarize the tryout?
The complete tryout information is available on 8/30/19. Signup for a tryout slot before tryouts (this will be posted in the next few days). Prepare for your tryout. Consider coming to practice sessions. Show up on 9/14/19 in A238 at your time. Relax, be enthusiastic, and be yourself. Bring your forms. Deliver Part II and Part III. Roll with the punches. Get tryout results.