UPDATE 9/4/20: This page now reflects general tryout information for the 2020-2021 season. The tryout packet is available below.
2020 Tryout Packet is available here.
Tryout Signup Sheet available on September 15th. Will be linked here.
*** Menlo Mock Trial Tryout Details ***
Tryout Schedule 2020-2021
All events over Zoom. Links in packet.
● First MMT Tryout Demo and Practice Session (6-8 PM): September 9th
(Coaches will walk students through tryouts, provide advice, show demos, and answer questions)
● MMT Parent Info-Session (Evening): September 10th (7-8 PM)
● Second MMT Tryout Practice: September 14th, (6-8 PM)
(Menlo coaches and returning students will help underclassmen with tryout material)
● Third MMT Tryout Practice Session: September 16th (6-8 PM)
● MMT Tryouts: September 20 th (5-8PM) and 21st (6-8PM)
● MMT Roster Announcement: September 22nd via email and phone call
You do NOT have to attend all of the tryout practice sessions. These are optional. You can decide to come in for a brief period of time as well. For example, you do not need to come in for all 2 hours on September 16th.
The tryout slots will be posted on September 15th. Tryouts are on Sunday, September 20th and Monday, September 21st. The average tryout is 5 minutes, features 4 brief parts, and is conducted in front of a coaches panel over Zoom. At the end of tryouts, the coaches release rosters with tentative roles. Depending on the turnout, some students, unfortunately, do not make the team in any capacity. If you can’t make the tryout dates, but still want to join the team, contact Dan Devitt immediately.
MMT offers tryout practices for students seeking advice/feedback, and a parent informational meeting as well. The tryout practices (times listed above) will provide demos of the tryout material with current coaches and students answering questions as well. The parent meeting will be held over Zoom on September 10th to clarify any questions. These sessions are not required, but are encouraged.
What is performed at the tryout (more info in the packet):
- Part I, Introductions and Forms (available in packet)
- Part II, 60s Pre-Scripted Performance: (chosen from 4 options)
- Part III, 60s Selection Performance: (inspired by prompts)
- Part IV, Discussion: (with the coaches following performance)
What should I choose for Parts II and III?
|Want to have any role?||Want to be an attorney?||Want to be a witness?|
|PART II||Attorney Option 1 OR 2||Attorney Option 1 OR 2||Witness Option 1A/B OR 2A/B|
|PART III||60s Monologue||A 60s Argument||60s Monologue|
Summarize the tryout?
Signup for a tryout slot before tryouts (this will be posted on September 15th). Prepare for your tryout. Consider coming to practice sessions. Show up on Zoom on the 20th or 21st at your time. Relax, be enthusiastic, and be yourself. Bring your forms. Deliver Part II and Part III. Roll with the punches. Get tryout results.