UPDATE 8/31/18: This page now reflects general tryout information for the 2018-2019 season. The tryout packet is available below, along with tryout slots.
2018 Tryout Slots are available here: menlomocktrial.org/tryoutslots
2018 Tryout Packet is available here.
*** Menlo Mock Trial Tryout Details ***
Tryout Schedule 2018-2019
- MMT Parent Info-Session (Evening): September 4th, 7PM-8PM in Martin Lecture Hall
- MMT Tryout Demo and Practice Session (evening): Weds September 5th, 6PM-8PM in A238
- Presentation Workshop (evening): September 7th, 5PM-8PM in A238 – this is a session with Stanford Mock Trial’s Head Coach (our former Head Coach) Thom Scher, which is a 5-7p workshop, and then 7-8p ‘office hours’ of sorts to watch and give feedback.
- MMT Tryouts: September 8th, 9AM-5PM in A238
- MMT Roster Announcement: September 8th, 7PM via email
Beginning at 5pm on September 1st students will have access to the complete tryout packet, and have the opportunity to sign up online for a tryout slot. Tryouts are on Saturday, September 8th. The average tryout is 5 minutes, features 4 brief parts, and is conducted in front of a coaches panel. At the end of tryouts, the coaches release rosters with tentative roles. Depending on the turnout, some students, unfortunately, do not make the team in any capacity. If you can’t make the 9/8/18 tryout, but still want to join the team, contact Dan Devitt immediately.
MMT offers two tryout practices for students seeking advice/feedback, and a parent informational meeting as well. The first tryout practice (6pm-8pm on 9/5/18) will provide demos of the tryout material with current coaches and students answering questions as well; the second session (5p-8p on 9/7/18) is a presentation workshop led by Thom Scher (Menlo’s former head coach, and Stanford’s head coach). The parent meeting (7p-8p on 9/4/18 will be held in Martin Hall to clarify any questions. These sessions are not required, but are encouraged.
What is performed at the tryout (more info in the packet):
- Part I, Introductions and Forms (available in packet)
- Part II, 60s Pre-Scripted Performance: (chosen from 4 options)
- Part III, 60s Selection Performance: (inspired by prompts)
- Part IV, Discussion: (with the coaches following performance)
What should I choose for Parts II and III?
|Want to have any role?||Want to be an attorney?||Want to be a witness?|
|PART II||Attorney Option 1 OR 2||Attorney Option 1 OR 2||Witness Option 1A/B OR 2A/B|
|PART III||60s Monologue||A 60s Argument||60s Monologue|
Summarize the tryout?
The complete tryout information is available on 9/1/18. Signup for a tryout slot before tryouts. Prepare for your tryout. Consider coming to practice sessions. Show up on 9/8/18 in A238 at your time. Relax, be enthusiastic, and be yourself. Bring your forms. Deliver Part II and Part III. Roll with the punches. Get tryout results.